We have all heard the song about roasting chestnuts over an open fire or making s’mores during a camping trip. These are fun and delicious activities to enjoy outside during the Summer, but what about when the temperatures drop during the Winter? If you have a wood-burning fireplace at home, you may wonder if you can make these sweet treats using your indoor hearth. Before you get started, it is important first to make sure that it is safe and efficient. In this blog, we will discuss the possibility of cooking using your wood-burning fireplace and provide tips on how to keep the flames contained, your food unburnt, and your home safe. To learn more about wood-burning fireplaces and to schedule a consultation, visit our website or call us at 781-562-0771.
Wood-burning fireplaces provide many benefits over gas or electric alternatives. Not only do they add warmth and ambiance to your home, but they are also more energy-efficient. Wood is a renewable resource that does not require electricity or gas lines to operate, saving you on utility costs in the long run. Additionally, burning wood produces less carbon monoxide than natural gas or propane, making it more eco-friendly. If you live in Massachusetts, you are no stranger to the frigid weather that comes with each Winter. Installing a wood-burning fireplace can keep your home warm and cozy during the snowiest storms.
Before you begin to roast and toast, it is important to ensure that your fireplace is safe to use for cooking food. Make sure that the chimney is not sealed and allows for smoke to be ventilated and out of your s’more. You should also confirm that your fireplace has been properly maintained and cleaned. A buildup of creosote can cause fire hazards, so it is essential to have a professional chimney sweep clean your chimney annually. It is recommended to have your fireplace inspected annually by a professional to check for any damages or potential hazards. During this inspection, you can also ask about using your fireplace for cooking and get advice on how to do so safely.
After you have confirmed that your fireplace is ready to use for cooking, here are some tips to keep your food and home safe:
Similar to debris buildup, food that gets caught in your fireplace can create a fire risk. Adding a pan or tray underneath your food can easily clean up any mess and avoid potential hazards. When making s’mores, gooey marshmallow residue can stick to your hearth and cause a fire if not removed. Also, leftover food can attract bugs and pests, leading to an infestation or damaged wood.
As with any open fire, it is essential to have a fire extinguisher in case of an emergency. Keep one nearby if the flames get out of control or something accidentally catches on fire. In the case of an emergency, fire extinguishers can be life-saving and prevent a small fire from turning into a larger, more dangerous one.
When you purchase your new fireplace, it should come with a guide from the manufacturer about troubleshooting, maintenance, and safety tips. In this guide, it should mention if your appliance can be used as a stove and the proper way to apply this feature. If you are unsure, contact the brand directly or the fireplace experts at New England Hearth & Home.
Aerosol sprays and non-stick cookware should be avoided over an open flame. These products can release harmful chemicals into the air when heated, which can cause respiratory issues or a fire hazard if they come into direct contact with the flames.
If you are unsure the best way to use your wood-burning fireplace or stove, contact New England Hearth & Home for guidance. As a trusted fireplace servicer, our staff is on hand to answer any questions regarding your hearth and how to use it as a stove. Additionally, if you are interested in learning more about installing a fireplace in your home, we can help walk you through the different types, styles, and brands to find the right one for you. To learn more and schedule a consultation, visit our website or call us at 781-562-0771.