If you’ve considered putting a new fireplace in your home, but don’t want to go through with a full remodel, a fireplace insert may be just the perfect solution! A fireplace insert is a great alternative to a traditional fireplace. It is essentially a firebox surrounded by a steel shell. In a fireplace insert, heat is trapped as the air flows between the firebox and the shell as it is warmed. This makes sure that the heat is being delivered into the room and not into the masonry structure. Therefore, heat is not being lost up the chimney or absorbed into the stone. A fireplace insert can be a good addition if you have an older wood burning or masonry-style fireplace. You may also consider one if you start to feel like the heat you’re getting from your current fireplace is not sufficient. A fireplace insert can use a variety of fuels and provides several other benefits that make it a great addition to your home.
Fireplace inserts can be heated using several types of fuel:
- Natural Gas
- EPA Certified Wood
Benefits of a Fireplace Insert:
- One of the biggest advantages of a fireplace insert is its efficiency. Traditional open fireplaces typically have a low efficiency rate of only about 5-10% since most heat is lost through the chimney. Because fireplace inserts have a sealed, air tight door, the fire burns slower generating more heat. They have a significantly higher efficiency rating, some up to 80%.
- Going hand in hand with efficiency, fireplace inserts can help save money on your energy bill. You will be using less gas, oil or electricity to heat your home with the increased efficiency of your fireplace.
- Fireplace inserts can also reduce your environmental footprint substantially, with wood burning emission of almost zero. Many fireplace inserts are EPA-certified, making them an optimal choice if you’re making an effort to “go green.”
- Fireplace inserts are also an aesthetically pleasing, more affordable option to add a new look without a messy remodel. You can add the fireplace box to your existing structure for a much simpler installation.
- They are also easily operated. With a touch of a button or flip of a switch, you will have instant heat. Many fireplace inserts even come with a remote control so you don’t even have to leave the couch to start a blazing fire!